Thursday, October 8, 2015

48 degrees

That is the inside temperature this morning.  We are tied up at the Rockland Harbor dock instead of on our mooring and it is not a bad place to be.  It is half the price per night to stay here than it is during the busy season.  The "neighborhood" is very friendly, in fact we all want to socialize making it very difficult to get our work done.

It is hard to get out of the nice warm bed from under flannel sheets, wool blanket, double layer flannel blanket, a quilt and a down comforter. Now tell me that isn't paradise on a cold morning.

First I will start at the beginning of our "dock life".  We arrived on Monday and started on the list.

  1. Find the water pump, so a spare can be purchased
  2. Spray dinghy to protect it from the UV rays
  3. Install LED lights (use a lot less electricity)
  4. Attach teak for fog bell.  Every vessel needs a fog bell to warn other vessels in the fog.
  5. Build new bridle for the dinghy
  6. Clean 3 water tanks, taking 24 hours.  Cleaning the tanks involves draining the water, filling it with bleach solution, draining the bleach and finally adding the clean drinkable water.
  7. Install the Rocna anchor.  The name is for those who care about the brand of the anchor, because it is sufficient to say, install the new anchor.  I supervised the installation.

  8. Install foam strips around doors...
The list is very long and so I think this is enough to give you some idea.
As the day went on the weather moved up to 64 degrees and except for being a bit breezy, it was a good day to be outside.

We are working on the final stages of stocking up for D-Day, October 13, 2015.  
We have no idea how much of what to bring so we brought it all.  

I want to tell you something I found a tad scary.  I planned to store can goods on the flybridge, seemed pretty reasonable to me. I asked a few people what they thought of doing that and they didn't say a word about rust. The fist thing that they said was they did't think the cans would be too heavy. WHAT does that mean!  I didn't dare to ask, but between you and me I think that means the boat could end up a** over tea kettle if there is too much weight on the flybridge and there are certain weather conditions.

Just to let you know we are doing this because it is fun and there is often work to have fun.  Enjoying life has work with it. Here are a several pictures showing you about a little work and a lot of fun.

Check out the bare feet on October 6th.

She is so pretty sitting at the Rockland town dock anxiously awaiting her trip south 
My dear hubby cleaning the water tanks the tip of the iceberg for all the work that he has done to make Linda Jean ready for the trip.

Silly girl this is one of my favorite parts of being on the trawler.  I can stand inside the boat and hang out towels, etc to dry.  The small things that make it fun.

Shorts and t-shirt if just for a little while on October 5th. Peeling corn.
Linda Jean's cedar locker (closet).
Juvenile loon. Wish you could have been there to see the loon so pretty preening herself. 
Taking the back panel of the cedar locker to find the water pump.


Rob bought another water pump so we will have a spare.


Day is done.


Tricia

4 comments:

  1. Wow - fabulous pictures!!! Just right for this armchair traveler...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your updates. Thanks so much for sharing this experience for those of us you are leaving behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia, you make all of the hard work sound like wonderful fun!! The pictures are great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always seem to have such words of wisdom. I so appreciate what you said about work, life, and fun. I'm writing them in my "quote" book for future reference.

    ReplyDelete