Wednesday, September 16, 2015

In the beginning



In the fall of 2014 Rob and I decided that we would buy a trawler for traveling the Intracoastal Waterway.  I had no experience with boating on the ocean and Rob had some.  It was just a dream that we had and I had no idea what I was agreeing to.  Rob worked countless hours learning about the boat from every source imaginable.  I have so much respect for how he has tackled this adventure for us.  I on the other hand, had no point of reference to know how to even think about such an undertaking.

The summer of 2015 was an emotional roller coaster for me, therefore Rob.  I had no idea how petrified I would be on the "big pond".  We encountered one thing after another.  New instruments needed to be tweaked, but most of the time we didn't find out about it until we were out in Penobscot Bay. There were so many times I could swear we were going to be found shipwrecked on ledges. The trip from RI in November 2014 was overwhelming with high seas and cold.  It was not a pleasure trip but a fast trip to get our "new to us" trawler to Stonington, Maine for a winter of work.  I can go into detail about all of the events that scared me to death but it will suffice to say I didn't think I would be ready emotional to hit the high seas.  There were many tears and doubts that I wouldn't be able to be on the boat for the winter.  I was very torn from absolute fear and wanting to help both of us do our dream.  I romanticized the whole idea and the reality hit me hard.

I worked very hard to tell myself that I could do it and we/I will make the trip starting in a few weeks.  I would never take this on if it wasn't for Sue and Paul coming along side of us in their own trawler.  Family and friends are priceless.

My intention is to keep you up to date on our travels.  I also feel fortunate that so many people are interested and excited for us and have asked for pictures and updates.  

3 comments:

  1. I so admire you for going on this new adventure and being upfront regarding your fears and experiences as you transition to your new life on the water. That the two of you are making this dream a reality - hats off to you! I so look forward to reading your blog updates about your adventures and your growth in becoming a "salty sailor".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila I want to keep connected to my friends and family and the blog seems like a very good way to do that.

      Delete
  2. Great start, Tricia, so happy to see this blog starting! Can't wait to read more. I love all the details, don't worry about saying too much! Good luck, and happy sailing!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete