Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Crackers and Canadians

January 13, 2016

See last post for location

Today we are off of to Titusville, FL

Crackers and Canadians

I learned this week that crackers are not just for eating, but they are white people and that Canadians don’t believe in God.

Rob and I wandered into the “hood” section of Daytona. I was warned by the woman at the boat yard to be careful of this neighborhood and we thought that we had taken a street that was safe, wrong.  A very unhappy man started following us, calling us crackers. Darned if I knew, but Rob explained the meaning. I didn’t even know he was yelling at us. 

I found out that the Canadians don’t believe in God and until our own country puts God back in our lives nothing is going to change,“this country isn’t what it was when I was growing up in the 50’s”. Upon a discussion about the location of Maine and time zones, we joked about Maine becoming a part of Canada if we switched to Atlantic Time. That was when we were told that Canadians do not believe in God. All of this from the greeter at a chocolate store we visited. I don’t know what this world is coming to when you can’t just buy chocolate.

We were taken to see how the chocolates are made and some interesting products.












 We decided we wanted curtains for the after cabin so off we went for a 5+ mile walk to a fabric store. Homebound with Uber and the things we needed to do the job, included in that purchase was a cloth shower curtain, an iron, beads and countless other items.  



Iron Rob bought for project, it actually did the job

Sewing outside in the sunshine

More work than we thought had to be done in the engine room.

I have been there and done that.






Several hundred dollars later we are on the way.


Mimi visits



















What do you get when you cross a crazy cat lady and a stray cat? Four puncture wounds, an infection, an ER visit and antibiotics.  Maybe Gracie and Ginger are telling us a cat on a boat is not a good idea.

I walked over 9 miles before I decided to take Uber to the emergency room. After a bad experience with Uber almost colliding with a UPS truck, we asked one of our new friends on a boat here to pick me up at the ER and bring me back to Linda Jean.


We have met some very friendly people on this stay in the marina and have seen some amazing boats, again.


Tricia

2 comments:

  1. A Florida "cracker" comes from the old days when they raised or captured cattle off the land, drove them to market by cracking whips. Down here they went to Boca Grande on their way to Cuba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been some discussion about the meaning of the word cracker that I have found very interesting. I looked for information and found a great article on NPR that leads me to believe I can decide myself which meaning I take to be my own and I am sure the man behinds in the "hood" had his own meaning for the word and when he yelled at us(white people) he was very angry about us "cracker" being isn his home territory. Here is the article I found.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/07/01/197644761/word-watch-on-crackers

    ReplyDelete