Thursday, January 28, 2016

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens

January 28, 2016
Coordinates 26.10416N, 80.11127W
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Mile 1062

We are still in Fort Lauderdale waiting out the weather, but in the meantime we have had lots of fun in between raindrops or on the two days of fairly good weather.  I have more pictures than words this time and I will tell today’s story through pictures.

Let me set the stage real quick.  We are in Lake Sylvia, a stones through away from mansions and Winn Dixie.  The only dinghy dock has a unique culture.  You have seen a couple of pictures of the bar that hosts the dinghy dock, there isn’t any other dock unless you want to take a long ride.

The fee to tie up at the Southport Raw Bar restaurant is $10.00 that can be used toward food and the food is really good. I guess my first impression was uppity about the restaurant, but quickly it changed.  The first time at the dock the water was littered with garbage and the deck and front of the restaurant needed a rag with soapy water. If you are ever in Fort Lauderdale on anchorage or by car and nearby, you should look this place up.  Unlike the small social group at the bridge openings where we were part of a whole, when you walked into the restaurant you walked into a small city being an outsider until you joined into the restaurant's way of life.  We used the dock most days, so of course we wanted more for our $10.00 than a tie up so we ate there several times.  One time we didn’t want to eat in the restaurant so we bought two pieces of the best chocolate cake and brought it back to the boat.

The city is different from what I expected because of a series of canals with mansions.  I expected beaches easy to get to.  I did manage to see the beach by taking a water taxi.

Here are the pictures I promised.


Found the beach.




 Water Taxi for the day, crazy right since we travel down the ICW in our own boat. But, the water taxi stops at several places we would not be able to go.  I was able to see the beach by getting off at one of the stops.  Rob stayed on our boat looking for water leaks, he didn't need my help so off I went.




There are so many fun names I see on boats, here this is one I thought you would enjoy.






Miami Vice here I come, VROOM.  Check out the name of the boat.




It is so much fun to see the variety of water crafts.





The view from our anchorage is this hotel, it reminds me of the buildings at the World Fairs.  The black night clouds make it look like a space ship.





Iguanas we saw on our dingy ride.




I am learning how to drive the dinghy.  I love how confident I look and I am in this picture but wait there is another story.  The day before this I wanted to be captain on the boat for the first time in a channel and crossing the ICW.  Before crossing we have to look both ways to make sure there aren't any mega yachts, jet skies, and fast boats that will run us over.  We were all set to go but there was a lot of wake from all of the above.  I increased my speed and went anyway. Brain and hand coordination fails me sometimes.  I tried to increase my speed and take the wake at a 45 degree angle, it wasn't working. Rob looks at me and in a semi panic voice says what are you doing!?  I told him if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't have done it.  After it was over I asked Rob if it is possible to upend the boat.


This picture was taken the next day.  I have no idea why Rob agreed to ride with me again.  The ICW crossing was calm and so were the canals.  I love my dinghy rides.  Check out Rob's relaxed feet.





In order to get to the dinghy dock we have to pass under this bridge.  At low tide it is easy and of course you can  imagine what it is like at high tide.  This picture shows us going under it at more than low tide but not close to what it is like at high tide.  At high tide we have to lay down in the boat so there isn't any part of our body above the boat.  It really is fun.







Finally a pedicure and manicure




Tomorrow I will see you in Miami.


Tricia


No comments:

Post a Comment