Sunday, January 31, 2016

One Light on the Shore

January 31, 2016
Coordinates 25.12060N, 80.42140W
Tarpon Basin
Key Largo, FL
Mile 1140


January 29 and 30, 2016
Coordinates 25.78752N 80.14858W
Miami Beach, FL
Mile 1089

Goodbye Miami Beach



While in Miami Beach we walked through the streets of South Beach for 7.5 miles taking in the sights.  Then to the beach to take in the blue water. 




Something I read in the Waterway Guide might be of interest to you. The guide tells you to make plenty of time for sightseeing once you get there. "Essentially a creation of the tourism industry, Miami Beach and its islands are mostly manmade".  What will man think of next.


We left Miami Beach for one of the well known keys where ,“African Queen” with Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn was filmed, in part.  

Just a note before you see the pictures I have today.  The conversation went like this, Rob, “I think we should buy a bigger boat”, Tricia “great we can buy an Ark and I can have all the animals I want”.  End of story. 




This says it all:






Sheila these are for you
Shells are always a treasure


This shell is rock hard and feels more like a stone than a shell


Miami at dawn



Miami by day


Maine by winter

Brown Snow

I loved blowing bubbles as a kid.  I watched this guy make bubbles for a long time



Flamingo lawn art of a different kind

Do you know that you can get an ice cream cone on any street corner in central Maine but in South Beach you can only get one at McDonald's, what a shame.




On the way to Key Largo...



People in Florida love to fish and we saw the sport in full force today and I don’t think this is even prime time.  On our way to Key Largo we went through a narrow part of the ICW that was full of people celebrating the sport.  I can’t capture the true flavor of this little slice of happiness for the fishermen so here it goes I will try to describe it.  

First;
Traveling along side the keys was surprising to me, even though there was a great expanse of water between the mainland and the keys the water was calm and fairly shallow.  The boats zoomed by making wake, but quite minor compared to the one that rocked the boat so hard that the grounds for the coffee I was making for Rob went flying, what a mess.

I distracted myself again but this was going on when we happened on to a lively, tiny area.  Both sides of the narrow part of the ICW had two to three motels nearly on the water and people everywhere. The highlight of this tiny place was a bar/restaurant hollering to each other over the loud music.  Center console fishing boats were pulled up on the beach.  It is Sunday and people who had worked all week were enjoying their day off.




One light on the shore is so peaceful, the city lights are not for me.


My best to all of you.

Tricia






2 comments:

  1. Your photos are feasts for the eyes...the shells are simply beautiful and so many shapes; the iguanas - I've always wanted to see one up close or as close as you were when you took the pix; the birds - so colorful. I don't understand why Miami doesn't have ice cream shops galore...strange..

    Your adventure piloting the trawler...you're very brave. My confidence for doing that would be a zero.

    The dingy going under the bridge...it pays to travel when it's low tide.

    I just got caught up reading your last 2 entries...It's so amazing how much info about the locations (restaurants, etc.) that you share and the many adventures that you've experienced in those entries. You certainly know how to make the most of each day.

    I look forward to reading your next entry. Say hi to Rob!

    Oh, in case, you're not current with Maine weather..it's like spring here..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I did not send you the pictures of me going around in circles over the rough water while crossing the ICW. I wanted Rob to take over but he refused giving me confidence that I could get us out of the vicious circle I had us into. The reason I can't send the picture is because the phone would have gone overboard if we tried. Now do you think that you can learn how to do it, I did. This is an adventure and some of it is pretty scary for me.

      Delete