Monday, March 14, 2016

GEM and Pearl

Well, it finally happened, I lost my entire post!  I will try to recreate the best of it.


March 9, 2016
Jim Park Marina (free dock)
Jacksonville, FL
Mile Marker 739

March 10-12, 2016
Fernandina Beach Municipal Marina
Fernandina, FL
Mile Marker 717

March 13 , 2016
Cumberland Island, GA
Mile Marker 705

March 14, 2016
Jekyll Island, GA
Mile Marker 684


We spent Christmas in Fernandina, it was so nice to be back.  Once again we managed to be somewhere when special events were happening. This past weekend Fernandina hosted some incredible car events. I heard that Jerry Seinfeld sold seven or eight Porsches. All I know is that there was a “ball” one night with an entry cost of $125.00 but I could not attend because I simply didn’t have anything to wear, we went to a baby back rib competition instead. 

Yesterday we explored Cumberland Island, anchoring in Brickhill River about 7 miles from the southern tip of the Island. 

We heard and saw several different birds and lucky enough to explore the Island with a birding guide from Maine.  Do you realize how special that is?   Shannon is also a Maine Guide. So off we went with her beautiful dog Pearl to see what we could find.

We walked about three miles to the beach on the other side of the Island, on our way we saw two wild horses on the path, one very pregnant. Pearl had a stare down with the horses and I guess Pearl won because after a few minutes the horses headed for the woods. We saw large bones as well, probably the remains of a horse.

We had a great time on the beach.  I threw sticks for Pearl to fetch long enough for us both to be tired. We found several whole sand dollars to add to my collection. I wish I could remember all the names of the things that we saw but alas my memory betrays me.

I really like traveling with others it makes for a very fun time, I don’t know that we have done it since we started on our own in November 2015 at Oriental, North Carolina.


Enough said here are todays pictures.




The Fancy Cars




The tides have an unusual amount of swing.  Dinghies and boats have been grounded by the shallow waters. In Fernandina friends had to row until they could lower their motor.



What is it about baby back ribs that bring out the most interesting names





Bird of the post
If you look closely you will see the Black Skimmer with the unusual long orange beak



Pregnant mama



Pearl has a stare down with a couple of wild horses



Pearl wins and the horses head to the woods





Not a magic mushroom




Tiny yellow snake



Just another great dog picture


Oyster shells encrust a large limb on the beach



The Carnegie house on Cumberland Island



Tiffanie lamps in the Carnegie house




A day at the beach



Jekyll Island Beach
A couple of friends and their dog



Motley Crew with dog and electric car



We explored the 9 mile long, 1 mile wide island in this little electric car
GEM (Global Electric Motorcars)


Parting shot

Sister boats



The next few days present a challenge in riding the tides at the right time so we don't go aground.

Tricia



















No comments:

Post a Comment