Sunday, December 6, 2015

Funny, Detail, Chatter and Keeping in Touch

December 6, 2015
Coordinates 33.55061N, 78.01443W
4.5 hrs, 23.8 nm, 5.3 kts
Southport, NC
ICW mile 309
Arrived 1:10pm


Unintended selfie thought I was taking a picture of a large boat


On the way, we had fun, not that we haven't had fun all along the trip. We saw Pelicans in mass for the first time, I was a little surprised about the wing span. 

We crossed over the Cape Fear River, one of the places where the ICW meets a channel from the outer ocean to land. We were back playing with the big boys (buoys). I was reminded how it was to be in several areas in the north part of the trip, industrial and imposing on the beauty in an area, the Chesapeake was like this. Large businesses crowding the landscape.  This is not a note against the politics of big business. I was brought up in a family that survived on a paper mill. My father often referred to the stench or wood smell from the working mill as "smelling like money”. My father was so happy that he could do something to support his family, the smells emitted from the the mill were part of life and I have seen that town devastated by a big business that left.

When we arrived we walked to the Chamber of Commerce, the three women there were really fun to talk with. I started up a conversation with one woman and Rob with another.  I heard the woman talking about having a Christmas party every year except this one.  She was sad and we talked about what it is like to not have a Christmas party this year.  It doesn’t really seem like Christmastime to me. My dear friend gave me an advent calendar that is fun, I brought a lighted Santa Claus that my sister gave me, it is about three inches tall.  During the day Santa sparkles if there is sunshine and at night I turn it on.  I have extra batteries at home but who would think about bringing batteries for a Santa while packing up for five to six months. 
I wanted to start ANOTHER knitting project yesterday and drats I didn’t have the right size needle, well actually I didn’t have the right length cord to knit in the round.  Sorry those of you who do not knit, a knitter knows what I mean.  I have lots of knitting needles at home but was not anticipating needing this length of cord.  While shopping one day recently with my dear friend I bought another set of needles and she expressed her feelings about me buying ANOTHER set of knitting needles but you know it still was not what I needed for this project.

We have been here for two nights.  Rob had things that he wanted to do and as I said before I had to do laundry. 

We had drinks and appetizers at one of the restaurants that is over the water, while there we met other boaters. I knew  they were boaters when I heard them talk about how far they would have to walk for provisions.

We also met up with other boaters  we had seen before and chatted with them awhile. This will happen ongoing during this trip.



Please vegetarian don't take it personal
Please post if you can figure out the meaning of the license plate



All the best,
Tricia


3 comments: