Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Water like a mirror

December 7, 2015 - December 10, 2015
Coordinates 33 36444N, 79 28268W
7 hrs, 44 nm, 6.3 kts
Georgetown, NC
ICW mile 403
Arrived 3:10 pm






We arrived in Georgetown on December 7, 2015 and we are leaving tomorrow December 10, 2015.  It has been a delightful time in Georgetown, although my first impression of the town was negative.  We had been in some pier perfect (my phrase for pretty as a picture) little villages and this town did not strike me as a place that I wanted to stay, but of course we did.  The following day we went into town and the main street (Front Street) was such a delightful place to walk.  I am trying not to stumble across my words, in my excitement to tell you all that has happened while we were here.

The stores in the town were so smartly decked out for the holidays and the keepers of the shops were so friendly.  My favorite store was the Rice Museum, a good size store with very special treats made locally and from far away places.  The prize in the store was Tess Trueheart, many of you older than me, will know who that is.  I now know that Tess is a wonderful tiger kitty 13 years old.  She purred when I touched her and let me rub her head.  I was in heaven.  We talked for awhile with Kevin, Tess’s best friend, so now we have the scoop.  We didn’t buy anything but Kevin didn’t mind.  I returned the next two days to say hi, one day Tess was not available but on the last day I said good bye.  Do you think that we will be able to find a kitty that likes boating?

Several stores later we happened on a knitting store.  A fun store with the size needle I have been searching for.  I will omit the information about the other items that I bought. What you don’t know what hurt me.

We had lunch today at a great restaurant, Thomas Cafe, they have what I call Rose Bowl Restaurant or Pine Tree Restaurant food.  Hamburgers smothered with gravy and onions, the best onion rings and home fries, Rob had shrimp and grits with fried green tomatoes.

After that great meal we headed to Verizon to see if we could lower our phone/data bill.  Nope, unless of course we decrease our data plan.  We are now looking into Straight Talk from Walmart.  I won’t give any details here since you either already know or don’t need to know. We will save a significant amount of money if we switch. Our home phone is on the boat we probably have received 2 phone calls of interest since leaving home.  Even Mom called my cell phone.

I am sitting on the boat in Georgetown Harbor looking at the beautiful town Christmas Tree all in white lights with a white star, what a treat!  

Speaking of Christmas decorations. You will not believe it, but Rob wanted to buy one of those blowup thingies that people put on their lawn. Rob wanted to place it on the front of the boat when we are anchored.  Are you surprised? I was, but you know what he has the Christmas Spirit and if that is what he wanted I would go for it.  BUT today at Walmart we bought a set of 200 color lights for the cabin instead. 

Just prior to arriving in Georgetown we came across Bucksport, SC at mile 377

“Enterprise Landing was once the departure point for the huge shipments of yellow pine and cypress.  This was the domain of Capt. Henry Buck, who brought over 100 shipwrights (think ship builders) from Bucksport, ME to Bucksport, SC. where they built the 210-foot sailing ship, Henrietta which carried cargos worldwide for over 30 years.”

We have met such great people along the way and this town was no exception.  As I have said many times boaters have a connection with each other that otherwise would not happen.

Today we talked with a man from a boat that we had seen on and off during our travels.  We were very curious about who was in this catamaran and today we found out.  We both enjoyed a long talk with the man while on the dock, wonderful stories were told including this man’s hobby of working with fine stainless steel wire.  When we returned to the boat there was a bag hanging on the rail with a bracelet made from wire for me.  See what I mean people are just a wonderful surprise.

There are free town docks that we could stay at for the day but there was a heavy fine of $1092.59 if a boat stays overnight.  We stayed on the dock during the day so we could come and go without having to bring in the dinghy, then go anchor just before sunset.

It is mealtime, so I will say good night and see you soon.

Here is a little slice of Georgetown, SC history, the town is full of historical interest.






International Paper Company smoke stack on the right.  I recognized the small of the mill straight away



What's really in a picture





3 comments:

  1. Great post! Not as exciting as a dolphin sighting, but today I saw a bobcat run across the road (on 27 about 0.5-1 mile south of Hammond Lumber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kitties so I would loved to have seen a kitty like bobcat but only from the inside if the car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see Rob had some good ole tacky christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete