Saturday, November 14, 2015

Before and During...


Coordinates for the 12th
36.83836N, 76.29591W
North Landing
Portsmouth, VA

Coordinates for the 13th
36.63797N, 76.372285W
Dismal Swamp, Douglas Road Dock
We don’t know the town name

It would take too much time to put the other information that I list for each day, so I am skipping that this time.


I am going to work backward in time to fill you in on the past events because of course, those are the freshest in my mind.  I have so much to share with you my mind is reeling.

You may remember at the end of my last post I was looking forward to restaurants and shopping in Portsmouth.  It didn’t quite happen as big as I wanted, but we still had a great time.  Thursday night we went to a dinner theatre; dinner so-so and movie fabulous.  Tom Hanks in Bridge of Spies based on a true story.  All four of us recommend you see it. Rob and I have a favorite character in the movie-Able.  Just keep that in mind when you see it or rather let me know who is your favorite. 

Being in Portsmouth, Virginia is unnerving.  Think of your self as the worm in a bottle of tequila or if you don’t drink because you are a teetotaler, think of yourself as a grain of sand in the Jordan River. Everyone else is on their own to imagine being tiny.

We prepared for heading out and the first thing that happened was a ding in the dinghy operation.  The davit system, the rig that holds the dinghy up, was detaching from the boat.  Now for some unknown reason I have a great affection for my dinghy, I don’t know maybe cute and little and needs someone to advocate for her.  I wanted to get the dinghy davit fixed in Portsmouth but it wasn’t in the cards.  We moved on with her tagging along behind.  So far so good and she was still with us in the Dismal Swamp.  At least now as we continue our trip her motor is mounted on Linda Jean and the dinghy will be a lighter load.

Our first challenge as we left Portsmouth was to get under a raised bridge that is never closed.  The bridge needed repairs so there wasn’t any need to worry about timing.  We got there and the train bridge had a stopped train on it, the last word we heard was that the bridge was up.  A tugboat was first in line, Sue and Paul were next then us.  Slowly other boats came, a sailboat and fancy all fiberglass boats. The visual is an Argentine Tango.  We danced during the hour wait.  You will have to ask Sue and Paul if that is accurate timing, I didn’t keep track. Oh ya, the audience was a tiny Navy Police boat keeping us away from a gigantic aircraft carrier that was having work done. Do you think that he would have shot us if we crossed he imaginary line?
   
Getting away from Portsmouth was a tad complicated.  You see you have to time your arrival at a lock at a scheduled time.  The times that you can use the locks are 8:30, 1:30, and 3.30.  You don’t want to get there too soon, but too soon is better than too late.  No lock waits for you. We were an exception because Sue and Paul got there before us and asked the guard to wait for us.  The guard was so helpful and had a good sense of humor.  I whistled to Rob to get his attention and the guard’s dog came to me. Rob didn’t hear me the first time, but the dog had good hearing.

We left Portsmouth for the Dismal Swamp on the 13th. Here is a little history about the swamp. I thought you might enjoy this tidbit.

From the Waterway Guide, Atlantic ICM, 2015.  (Let me interject here that we have four separate guides that cover the ICW that are a necessity when you plan your trip).

“In 1763, George Washington first proposed draining the swamp, harvesting the timber (cypress for shipbuilding and cedar for shingles) and then farming the land.  He and other prominent businessmen purchased 40,000 acres of swampland.  Washington first supervised the digging for the ditch from the swamp to Lake Drummond, today known as Washington Ditch.  Disenchanted with the business  venture, Washington tried to sell his interest in the land to “Lighthorse”, Harry Lee, father of Robert E. Lee, 30 years later.  However, when it came time to close the deal, Lighthorse Harry was a little light on cash and Washington wound up keeping the land and passing it on to his heirs.  In 1909, a lumbering company purchased the swamp and continued to harvest virgin timber until they cut the last tree down in the 1950;s.  In 1973, the Union Camp Company donated its swamp holding to create the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge."

Part way through the DS we tied up at a dock that holds only two boats. We enjoyed the hum of the generator and the outside lights of a restroom.


Today we leave for Elizabeth City, five more hours of the Dismal Swamp, I know why they call it dismal, however I appreciate the beauty.  It is a straight line of about 5’ or 6’ deep water a welcome ride after the high seas. Our boat draws 4' 5" and sometimes the depth is 3' 8".  Do you think that our depth sounder is off?

The theater

My first McDee's ice cream cone since I started this trip and Sue joined me!
Those of you who know me well will certainly understand the sacrifice I have made.



Protecting America



We can wave our flag freely




A girl has gotta eat when the seas are rough

The guard


The locks

The stop for the night





Prefect smooth


Check out the lack of wrinkles in my coffee now that is 
smooth sailing.
Hopefully I will see you tomorrow, no promises.



Tricia



3 comments:

  1. I found the dock on Google Earth. Thanks, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Trish and Rob - you must be SO glad to be in quiet water now. Good going, guys!! We are sitting on the porch, in front of the "fire", with the white icicle lights along the top of the windows, reading your blog and enjoying every bit of it. 39f and roaring wind all day, but bright and sunny and gorgeous.
    Enjoy the approaching south!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review of Tom Hanks' movie...
    I continue to be in awe of your experiences...
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete