Sunday, November 1, 2015

Working our way to Cape May

October 31, 2015

Coordinates 39.75304N, 74.11543
Barnegat Inlet-2, NJ

52.7 NM
6.5 hours
8.1 average kt

My nephew, Ken has a TrueTrip Google Map with our coordinates posted.
https://goo.gl/4RwrFH

Happy Halloween a day late.


“Bones and Booth”
Rob and I saw this three dimensional skeleton in/on a yard in Rockland.  


Check out those jingle bell eyes



Atlantic Highlands’ people went to a great extent to decorate for Halloween.  Sue and I went for a long walk in the neighborhoods and enjoyed every bit of the work that the people put into it.


We left Atlantic Highlands at 7:15 yesterday morning and it was an interesting trip with lots of rolling. We traveled the length of the sandy Jersey shores... kinda boring after the coast of Maine.  But, amazing beaches.

New York City stays behind


The most exciting part of the trip was the siting of a couple of humpback whales just a mile out from the Jersey Shore.

We arrived at our anchorage about 2pm, dropped the dinghy and went for a ride into the dinghy dock. I can’t say town, because there isn’t one.  I guess that people shop for groceries somewhere else, this really is a working/playing inlet.  We tied up at the dinghy dock and walked to the lighthouse.  We toured the fishing boats in the dinghy, It really is hard to describe this interesting anchorage.  Apparently Barnegat is the place to come fishing because there are 100’s of fishing boats some very large and elaborate.  




While having wine and preparing for dinner I heard Rob send forth a loud expletive, so I turned around to look out the port windows and repeated it.  A fleet of tug boats and their cargo were coming into this tiny inlet, it was fascinating to watch this train. I believe that it is the Corp. of Engineers getting ready to dredge the inlet, but that is just a guess.  All very fascinating.  We suspected this boat is dropping off some of the men from the Army Corp. of Engineers.



We are staying here today since the seas are not favorable for our trip to Cape May.


I wonder what today will be like.  I am betting that there will be lots going on.  I will let you know.

Tricia

4 comments:

  1. Very cool. Lots of new experiences on your adventure. Every day brings something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Halloween so I appreciate the pictures that you took. May tomorrow bring calm waters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your play on words. We did have a good day today.

      Delete