Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Last Will and Testament

November 11, 2015
Coordinates 37.00726N, 76.31657W
8 hours, 56.4 NM, 7.05 kts
Fort Monroe
Hampton, VA

Last will and testament

I am starting this blog while my poor trawler (and poor Tricia, Rob doesn’t mind) travel to Portsmouth (Norfolk), VA in 3-4 or more foot seas with winds 19- 20 kts.  The wind is NNW.  The sky is very clear and very blue.  

The cabinet under the sink came open and the contents spilled out onto the floor because we forgot to secure it with a makeshift lock of twist ties.  For some reason this time the spray bottle cover twisted off spilling water.  The little bit of water won’t matter when we roll over into the sea.

I tried  to get to the head across 10 feet, down 3 steps, across another 2-3 feet and sit down without falling down. One must remember to shut the lid on the sit-down if you don’t want to loose anything in it.  I am lucky because the stuff that fell missed the hole.

Rob just reported that for about 10 minutes we are turned in a direction that enables us to pick up a wave from the north and ride it.  Sounds like we are surfing, don’t be fooled. After the 10 minutes Rob promises we will be closer to shore and because of that it “shouldn’t” be as bad.  He wasn’t right.

I took pictures for you but there isn’t any sense in sending them.  Just believe that while I am sitting here with you, the view of the water comes and goes depending on which part of the rolling sea we are in.

Well okay I/we are not Shackleton, so it isn’t that bad nor the Titanic, so maybe this isn’t my LWT.

What does one do while the boat moves along to our destination?  I tried knitting and sometimes that works, knit one, oops, knit two oops. Crossword puzzles work easily because it is only pen to paper. But I bought the medium hard book of puzzles from Tuesday and Wednesday NYT.  Good thing the answers are in the back.  As soon as I get to a store I am going to buy the easy version.

We arrived on a beautiful late fall afternoon with only a catamaran and sail boat at the anchorages.  After anchoring we took the dinghy to shore for a nice long walk around Fort Monroe.

I had a snack of great Irish cheddar cheese and Vidalia onions with my wine and Rob had his old stand by crackers with hummus.  I cut up veggies for a stir fry that if I am lucky, Rob will fix.

The windows are open and the breeze is pretty darn nice.  Sue and Paul are already in Portsmouth, so we will meet up with them tomorrow.

I hear there is shopping, restaurants and entertainment in Portsmouth.  I have cabin fever, so it will be very nice to be out and about.

Tricia



Picture from Reedville Anchorage

Worse than it looks



Dinghy Taxi

The gulls have followed us south





6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your trip log. The last time Paul and Sue made their trip south, we could only guess where they were. Now I can put stick pins on my Google Earth chart at each of your ports of call. It sounds like you will no longer be able to refer to yourselves as inexperienced owners. Safe travels and following seas, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! Your title made me open it immediately (mostly to see if you'd left me anything in your will, ha ha!). I think I got a little seasick. You are a brave sailor, and I agree with Jim, I think you need to remove "inexperienced" from your profile description.

    Thanks for sharing all the photos. Is there a name for the feeling of being both envious and thinking "there is no way I'd do that," at the same time??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come with us and you can choose which one it is. Love your humor!

      Delete
  3. My stomach starting reacting as I read your last post, and in between the churning, I did chuckle. however, when I read about "the head" episode....I can't help but think about the individuals who sailed from other countries hundreds of years ago in their tiny boats....How any of them managed to get to this country amazes me.

    I continue to be in awe of your sticktoitness. I guess I'm a fair weather water traveler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably became pros at holding their balance, I don't want to learn how to balance as those brave souls did.

      Delete