Monday, October 26, 2015

NYC here we come

October 25, 2015

Coordinates 40.96163N, 73.67006W
Rye City, NY
Long Island Sound

83.5 nm, 9.75 hours, 8.56 average kts

Our day begins



We are presently sitting at an anchorage in Long Island Sound at a place called Playland.  It looks like a “closed for the winter” amusement park. I can’t imagine what it is like to get to this place in the summer!

Sitting in view of NYC just gives me the goosebumps I didn’t even know this was a possibility.  The trip from Stonington, CT. was good. The bus heater was on in the cabin and the day ended on the flybridge with the side window open.  Now there are spectacular views of the moon and mirror like waters surrounding the boat.  It is 71 degrees in the cabin and 60 degrees on the flybridge. Even so the bedtime dressing includes long johns.

One might wonder, what is this bus heater contraption? Just think about riding the school bus.  The one we have is in the cabin.  Heat is generated from one of the twin engines while they are running and is routed to the cabin with the bus heater.

I saw Manhattan as we continued in Long Island Sound and the absences of the Trade Towers stood out in my mind.  I thought of Sully Sullivan and his rescue of the plane in the Hudson River. I thought of my father who loved to take a boat ride on his pond on the night of the full moon and eat popcorn and drink tea, it was his piece of heaven.  I have my piece of heaven too.

I did knitting, and did my reading, I took pictures, communicated with friends and took a shower.  When you live on your boat using water to take a shower is an event.

My nephew had a great idea to save water while running it to get hot water for doing dishes, etc. Use a jug to save the cool water and then use that water boiling pasta or eggs, etc. Perfect!

Tomorrow if the plan is executed we will be traveling Hell Gate.  We have read and heard horror stories and as a result of that, felt it was a near impossible area to travel through NYC.  We have the best of the best captains leading us into the Hell Gate, so I think we will be okay.  The plan is to leave this anchorage at 8 heading for Hell Gate to time it so that we are there when the water is slack.  The tide needs to be high and not coming in or going out to make a smooth trip through a very narrow place.  I am not sure, but the information that scared me was mostly from sailors and we have a trawler.  I will let you know tomorrow what it is like in our trawler.

Another day is done.



Tricia


6 comments:

  1. Again, thank you for taking your time to keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun Fact: The amusement park "Playland Park" is the amusement park featured in the movie big. The one where Josh makes the wish on a fortune teller machine that turns him "big".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will keep the two of you in my thoughts tomorrow as you continue your journey! From the sounds of it, you have experienced guides to lead the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great adventure. I enjoy reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are having a lovely day at sea!

    ReplyDelete