Friday, October 30, 2015

The transients move on

Coordinates the same
Atlantic Highlands
October 29,2015

Yesterday was fun even though we did the mundane most of the day.  It was a work day.

First thing in the morning was laundry, back to the boat, back into town with Sue, Paul, and Rob for lunch and grocery shopping. Part of the day that was fun included two characters that we met, one at the laundry mat and the waitress at the Zoe Vintage Kitchen. I use the word waitress because the theme of the restaurant was from the 50’s. Even though I was born in the 50’s, certainly what we had at home for kitchen furniture carried over into the 60’s. We had the Formica oval table with the chrome legs and the style of the chairs that I don’t have to describe because most of you know what they looked like.  The nut choppers, the green blender and the pretty aprons that only covered from the waist down was the theme. 

Back to talking about the waitress.  She had a dry sense of humor and was very good at her job.  She had a long beautiful gray braid down to her waist.

I was alone at the laundry mat for most of the time, actually I can’t say I was alone. The owner was quite funny. My time at both places was like a skit from The Carol Burnett Show, and all I could do was ad lib.  I won’t describe the entire two hours that started with him calling me a boat person, probably because of the back pack, and ended with him teaching me how to fold a bottom sheet. 

Rob and Paul walked 6.5 miles a lot of that looking for West Marine and not finding it.  Guess what they are doing today.

We finally were able to pick up CBS on the antenna from NYC either the Empire State Building or the Freedom Tower or any number of high places but this is not my point, the point is that we were able to watch the Patriots play the Dolphins.  It was not a great first half and it was on at 8:30pm, but we picked it up and I hope we will be able to pick it up again as we move south.

...and I thought I had nothing to say about yesterday.




October 30, 2015
Coordinates the same
Atlantic Highlands

We have been here since Tuesday waiting out the high seas and tomorrow we leave here for Barnegat, NJ.   The coordinates will be listed tomorrow, because one never knows where they will end up dropping anchor.

For those of you who wear make-up and use mascara, I want you to think about what happens to your application if you rock back and forth on  your feet and sway to and fro. Yup you have it in places that you didn’t intend, but I feels so good to get gussied up that it doesn’t really matter.

I spent most of the day in town and the others spent parts of their day there. Rob and I each have pedometers so we know how far we walk and I walked 6 miles and Rob walked 7.9.  I highly recommend any kind of pedometer except a complicated one to encourage walking and then patting yourself on the back.

Did I tell you that we can see NYC from our anchorage? Well we can.  It isn’t a great view but it is a pretty big deal to us.

Now I am just rambling, so I will say good night and hope you sleep tight.


Tricia

3 comments:

  1. Tricia, You really know how to pack in a lot of action into one day. Love your description of the restaurant and your interactions with the locals. I have found ocal estaurants and laundry mats (especially) to be quite entertaining/fascinating.

    You've inspired me to get a pedometer or maybe to find the one that I bought so many years ago...hopefully, it still works.

    Continue your postings. They are quite informative and entertaining. Say hello to Rob for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it sounds a lot like a backpacker on the AT arriving at a small trail town...walk for miles to the laundramat, the library (for internet), and the motel. This is great - meeting people and finding delight in them. Enjoying reading every bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you don't mind but I am sharing your journey with our friends on Facebook. We have the Garmin Vivofit and have been pleased with and motivated by it and the accompanying personal web site.

    ReplyDelete